As much as I hate to admit, getting older does take a toll on my body. Besides training methods, nutrition has become an indispensable part of maintaining or improving my running performance.
Here are the main concerns of aging and recommendations on eating to age gracefully (Source: 6 Nutrition Obstacles Senior Athletes Need to Overcome | MyFitnessPal).
- Slower metabolism – choose quality foods over quantity
- Weaker bones – increase calcium rich and vitamin D fortified intakes
- Losing muscle – seek out protein for building lean muscle mass
- Waning appetite/ taste – select nutrient rich foods
- Declining thirst – drink fluids frequently to prevent dehydration
- Reduced absorption – consume well balanced & colorful diet
How do you counter the effect from aging?